Dear Palm Valley Resident,
The PVCA meeting on Monday, September 11, has been cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. We’ll reschedule as soon as practical after the storm.
Late yesterday afternoon, St. Johns County issued a mandatory evacuation order for 6 a.m. on Saturday, September 9 for Evacuation Zones A and B, which includes all of Palm Valley. Residents who are able to evacuate and are not utilizing a St. Johns County shelter should begin evacuating as soon as possible in order to avoid traffic congestion. Access to the island will continue up to the time that weather conditions deteriorate and it is deemed unsafe to cross the bridge. Once the closings occur, no access to the islands will be permitted until authorities reauthorize re-entry onto the island. Depending on the assessment on the islands and to the bridges, this could be several hours or several days.
St. Johns County will open four shelters at 6 a.m. Saturday and is prepared to open additional shelters as needed:
• Pacetti Bay Middle School, 245 Meadowlark Ln. (Special needs)
• Timberlin Creek Elementary School, 555 Pine Tree Ln. (Pet-friendly)
• Southwoods Elementary School, 4750 FL-206 (Pet-friendly)
• Pedro Menendez High School, 600 SR 206 West (General population)
• Bartram Trail High School, 7399 Longleaf Pine Pkwy. (General population)
While shelters provide safety throughout the storm, residents must bring supplies in order to maintain personal comfort and sustenance. St. Johns County recommends that all evacuees bring their own bedding, including sleeping bags or air mattresses, pillows, sheets, and blankets. A three-day supply of water, non-perishable food, medication, diapers, and other personal items are also suggested. Please refer to the list below for additional supply suggestions.
• Three-day supply of medications, insulin and cooler if you are diabetic
• Personal grooming and hygiene items, feminine supplies
• Extra clothing, eyeglasses
• Books, magazines, cards, games, etc.
• Pillows, blankets, sheets, lawn chair/chaise lounge
• Flashlight and extra batteries, manual can opener
• Personal identification/important papers
For evacuation information, including route maps and evacuations zones, please visit the St. Johns County Emergency Management website at www.sjcemergencymanagement.org/evacinfo.html and for more information, please call the St. Johns County Citizen Information Hotline at 904.824.5550 or visit www.sjcemergencymanagement.org/shetpub.html.
We’ll update the Palm Valley Community Association website with some helpful links to provide additional information as it relates to our area.
Please be safe in your travels and send prayers for our emergency responders, utility workers and county officials in the path of this storm.
President, Palm Valley Community Association