We’ll be updating this page frequently with hurricane recovery info as it becomes available.
FEMA has issued an Individual Assistance Declaration for St. Johns County in response to damage incurred due to Hurricane Matthew. To apply for individual assistance, please visit www.disasterassistance.gov or call 800.621.3362. For more information, please call the St. Johns County Emergency Management Citizen Information Hotline at 904.824.5550.
If you are having trouble with your insurance company, the Florida Deptartment of Financial Services encourages property-owners to be patient but assertive; giving up is not the answer. “So many times people become intimidated by this process or they become exasperated because the first person they talked to didn’t help them,” said Jeff Atwater, state CFO. “I don’t want anybody not to get the kind of payment or replacement they deserve.” Call the Florida Department of Financial Services and take advantage of the help the state offers. The Department of Financial Services can be contacted by phone, 1-877-MY-FL-CFO (1-877-693-5236) or online: MyFlaCFO
Make sure to watch out for scam contractors. If you need to check the business license of a contractor, check the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation here: MyFloridaLicense
How to help your neighbors in Palm Valley:
- Donate funds to help Palm Valley residents. The Palm Valley Community Charity, Inc. is a IRS recognized 501(c)(3) and any donations of cash or “gifts in kind” are tax deductible. Send a check noting PV Disaster Recovery to: Palm Valley Community Charity, Inc., 830-13 A1A North, #161, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082, or donate via our website at Donate to PV Disaster Recovery.
- Donate funds to the First Coast Relief Fund through the St. Johns County United Way: text STAFLA to 41444, or via their website – http://www.unitedway-sjc.org/
If you need help:
- United Way of Northeast Florida has posted a link to all the most important partner agencies in our area and others: United Way Resources and Partner Agencies
- United Way’s 2-1-1 call center is answering calls around the clock, connecting individuals and families to available resources. Operators are available 24 hours, seven days a week: United Way 2-1-1 Flyer
- Our local newspapers are filled with information for homeowners, businesses and residents: St Augustine Record Info for Residents
- Facebook site listings of Palm Valley / Ponte Vedra contractors:
- If you have trouble getting answers or assistance, let us know. We may be able to help. Contact your community association at email@example.com or call (904) 285-5171.
Palm Valley collection event on October 15, 2016:
The Palm Valley Community Center collection event was a tremendous success. We completely stuffed our transfer vehicle and set the collection bins at the PV High School to overflowing. Thank you to all that stopped by (on short notice!) with bags and bags of love for your St Johns County neighbors in need.